It might seem too good to be true but you can have ice cream on the Budwig diet. When made with the fat-free quark, it is cholesterol-free and rich in the good fat omega-3. You can use this recipe for an interesting way to have the linseed oil-quark cream instead of a muesli-style dessert.
This ice cream was created by Johanna Budwig. It has got to be the all-time easiest home-made ice-cream recipe, the result is creamy, smooth and absolutely delicious – and is probably one of the healthiest ice creams ever. It is a great treat, especially for anyone wanting to eat more healthily or with concerns about cholesterol, and it’s a good option for tempting a patient with a flagging appetite.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 100 g quark
- 45 g linseed (flax) oil
- 50g skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon raw natural honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste ( but not flavouring or “essence.”)
Simply blend and freeze.
Enjoy with fresh fruits, berries, nuts and a couple of heaped dessertspoons of ground linseed.
- Chocolate Ice Cream: add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder to the mix above and blend. Particularly good with ripe pears and chopped Brazil nuts
- Blueberry Ice Cream: add 3 tablespoons blueberries and blend, then fold in a handful of chopped walnuts. Good with sliced peaches and almonds.
- Raspberry Ice Cream: add 3 tablespoons of raspberries and blend.
- Banana Ice Cream: mash a ripe banana and blend, great with fresh strawberries and mixed nuts.
Try your own variations with different fruit purees and juices, seeds and berries. Who would have thought linseed oil ice cream would taste this good?